Have you always wanted to try the exciting sport of mountain biking but don’t have a bike and/or feel a little intimidated?
Or maybe you have a bike but its been so long since you’ve rode that it is sitting in the garage collecting dust.
Check out our popular women’s beginner mountain biking course!
This program will follow the same model as our popular trail running courses: guided and coached rides at beginner friendly trails across the front range paired with clinics featuring expert guest speakers.
——> These are SMALL group sessions, we cap at 8 participants.
Starting in May 2023!
In this 6 week program we will cover:
– Pacing, hill technique and fitness for mountain biking
– Wildlife, safety on the trails, trail etiquette, right of way and sustainability.
– Proper shifting and breaking technique
– Gear for mountain biking, how to change a flat, correctly size/adjust your bike and more basics
– How to handle steep grades, technical terrain, switchbacks, water bars, etc
Monday (6pm) OR Wednesday (6pm) OR Saturday mornings (9am). Plan on 90 minutes – 2 hours for each class.
– Spring session: Mid May- late June
– Summer session: Late June- early July
– Fall session: Early Sept- mid Oct
*Program includes one coached ride a week and opportunities to join your classmates on social rides between sessions to practice what you’ve learned!
More program details:
- We will meet and explore a different trail each week! (along the c-470 corridor between Golden-Parker)
- Access to follow-up documents, resources and our growing community where our members organize regular social rides
- All L2S programs are beginner centric and designed to be inclusive and provide an atmosphere of encouragement. Most sessions will include at least one L2S “trailblazer”, women with experience mountain biking and familiar with local trails to help make sure all participants feel safe and included (no one left behind)!
- Make new friends your level to ride with!
- Bike rental is NOT included in the course fee.
*L2S members save 15% on all programs and attend special events/clinics free or at cost! Learn more about joining our community now here!
Have some experience mountain biking and looking for something more advanced?
Check out our women’s mountain biking training club!
This ongoing drop-in ride program entails bi-weekly rides at different trails across the front range, training for an epic long ride and/or option to complete a mountain bike race or two (with some talks on strategy).
Gear clinic and group social with a local bike shop
A mountain bike pro will join us for a talk about gear for mountain biking, pedals, how to change a flat, proper bike fitting, etc. Then head out for a social ride and afterwards enjoy socially distanced brews as you get to know your instructor and fellow course participants.
Trail basics and easy ride
We will cover basics like how to break and shift properly + smoothly and proper body and peddle position while ascending, descending and on technical terrain. Then head out for an easy 4 mile ride on a trail with a gentle climb with mostly smooth trail winding through green fields filled with wildflowers.
Wildlife and trail safety talk
Before we will discuss the local wildlife, how to handle encounters, safety on the trails, trail etiquette, right of way and sustainability.
This fun and adventurous route includes some short climbs, winding trails through field and forest.
Tackling technical terrain
We will practice balance points, weight distribution, tackling technical terrain, sighting and cornering before heading out to practice our skills in a local bike park with beginner friendly obstacles.
Fitness and pacing for mountain biking
We will talk about briefly about fitness for mountain biking and what you should be doing off the bike to prevent injury and improve your strength and stamina for longer, tougher rides and then onto some fast, fun and smooth trails wind up, down and around. This roller coaster like terrain is the perfect place to hone in our pacing and skills for quick shifting and sharp curves.
Time to show off your new mountain biking skills. We will have two location options depending on which session you signed up for. Each route is unique and boasts a variety of terrain and gorgeous scenery and viewpoints! Afterwards we will stop by a local brewery to celebrate completion of the course with brews (or kombucha)!
Leah Camden our program head coach and BICP level II certified instructor with a thirst for downhill riding and passion for helping beginners gain confidence on the trails to shred bigger lines and find joy in her favorite sport!
Megan Chapman is a Colorado Native, who grew up playing volleyball in Colorado Springs. Megan participated in the L2S beginner course back in 2018 and quickly fell in love with mountain biking. She began exploring trails all over the country and is now a BICP level I certified instructor excited to share her passion for helping more women get on the trails!